AJE understands how important it is to keep our community aware of upcoming matters such as that of Immunization Policies. See the important updates and reminders below.
Updates of Exemption and Compliance
Both HPV opt-out forms as well as religious exemptions for immunizations must be submitted each school year.
- Religious exemptions and HPV opt-out forms signed from April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023 will expire on July 1, 2023.
- Religious exemptions and HPV opt-out forms signed from April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024 will expire on July 1, 2024.
If you need to request a new exemption remember you must follow the process outlined here – Religious Exemption Request Process.
Parents must submit the name of each child, their date of birth, and the school or childcare facility where they are or will be enrolled to: firstname.lastname@example.org in order to obtain a blank exemption form to complete. Forms may also be requested in-person Monday Thursday, 9:00am to 3:30pm at: DC Health/Immunization Division Community Health Administration 899 North Capitol Street NE, 3rd Floor Washington, DC 20002.
Changes to when students might be excluded from school
OSSE has changed how vaccine enforcement works in DC. In the school year 23/24 ONLY students in grades pre-K 3, Kindergarten, 7 and 11 may be excluded from school for vaccine noncompliance. Here are the dates parents need to know.
• Oct 26: Schools will send warning notifications of temporary exclusion to all families of non-compliant students in grades pre-K 3, Kindergarten, 7 and 11. If you receive this letter and you think it is incorrect, you may want to review your child’s immunization records and talk to your healthcare provider. Information about how to access your child’s immunization records is below, and your healthcare provider should be able to provide it, or help you access it as well.
• Dec 1: School will send final notifications of temporary exclusion to all families of remaining non-compliant students in grades pre-K 3, Kindergarten, 7 and 11.
• Dec 4: Schools are required to temporarily exclude non-compliant students in grades pre-K 3, Kindergarten, 7 and 11 and until the students become compliant.
Information regarding access to pediatric vaccinations in the District is available at PedsVax.dc.gov.
DC Health Vaccine Access Information
- Vaccine Information Sheet Access
- Vaccine Information Statements are also available in alternative language versions.
- Vaccine Exchange Request
- Pediatric Clinic Locations
- Pediatric Vaccine Clinics
Do you need help accessing your child’s vaccine records?
You can find that information here – https://vaccinerecord.dc.gov/ and the handout below may be helpful as well.