In case you missed it, on Friday the Washington Lawyer’s Committee sent this letter to DCPS Chancellor Ferebee and PCSB Executive Director Dr. Walker-Davis. AJE is proud to have signed the letter, which was also signed by the Children’s Law Center and Disability Rights DC.
The letter demanded that DC Schools (DCPS and Charter) do the following –
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must develop and implement a system to provide both synchronous and asynchronous education during quarantine periods.
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must be prepared in advance to distribute devices for each student in the household to engage in virtual learning during quarantine periods.
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must also be prepared to ensure the basic needs of students are met.
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must ensure a high-quality education is provided to all students even during quarantine periods.
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must include a plan for in-class formative assessments of students’ academic and social progress after returning from quarantine.
- DCPS and Charter LEAs must implement a robust testing policy for suspected COVID-19 cases and close contacts.
AJE is hopeful that after last week’s hearing at the Council (you can find our testimony here) DC education officials have heard that DC families do not think that the current policies are working, and do not think that children are safe or learning.