Restorative Practices (including Restorative Justice) can be remarkably powerful and effective tools for strengthening and creating authentic relationships in schools. However, they are also widely misunderstood, and all too often poorly implemented. AJE wants parents to know what Restorative Justice circles look like when done well, understand how professionals might use Restorative Practices to strengthen relationships in the school, and to know what to expect as their schools try to move toward a more Restorative approach to their work.
That’s why we’re very excited to share that Restorative DC, in partnership with OSSE, is hosting three pop-up events dedicated to empowering the DC school community through the principles of Restorative Justice and family engagement. These sessions will focus on –
- Healing and Community Building: Immerse yourself in the powerful practice of Restorative Justice Circles, fostering a collective sense of healing, family engagement and unity among students, educators, families and community partners.
- Dialogue and Reflection: Engage in thought-provoking conversations centered around the implementation and potential challenges of Restorative Justice within the educational landscape, by supporting educators with tools and resources to engage families and assisting families with creating restorative home life. These discussions will illuminate diverse perspectives and facilitate a deeper understanding of the transformative impact of restorative practices in schools.
- Resources and Networking: Access a wealth of resources to aid schools in successfully integrating Restorative Justice into their existing frameworks. Connect with like-minded educators, school leaders and student support staff, fostering family engagement in the community to exchange insights, strategies and best practices for cultivating positive school cultures.
- Roosevelt STAY – Thursday, Sept. 14, 4pm to 6pm 2001 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Sojourner Truth – Thursday, Sept. 21, 4pm to 6pm 1800 Perry St. NE, Washington, DC 20018
- Seed DC – Thursday, Sept. 28, 4pm to 6pm 4300 C St. SE, Washington, DC 20019
If you want to learn more about Restorative Justice and do an even deeper dive into the theory, practices and common challenges of implementing restorative practices, you are welcome to join AJE online for a special open session of our Parent Ambassor training on October 26th, from 7pm to 9pm where we will be talking with and learning from the team at Restorative DC about the potential of Restorative Justice to help us create more equitable and safer schools.